View for the first-time Halemaumau Crater which has more than doubled in size since the Kilauea Eruption began in May 2018.
Learn first-hand the power Kilauea Volcano inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HVNP). Join us as you discover the recent changes to Halemaumau Crater from the most recent eruption that began in May, 2018. En route to HVNP, this small group guided full-day adventure takes you on a Kona coffee farm tour. Lunch is included at the famous Punalu’u Bake Shop. Journey to a rare black sand beach, rain forest, lava flows, a walk through lava tube and to unique stops in the park unfamiliar to most visitors while ending your day with a deluxe dinner at a highly rated restaurant.
Explore the Volcano Deluxe Tour Highlights Include:
- Begin your adventure as you sample some of the best coffee brews on the Big Island. Walk through a lava tube, and take a tour of the Kona Coffee Farm to learn about the harvesting and milling process of Kona Coffee.
- Your journey travels south on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa volcanoes. Gaze upon the scenic views of the Kealakekua Bay and South Point, the southernmost point of the United State. You’ll also view several historical lava flows and will enjoy a fabulous picnic style lunch at Punalu’u Bake Shop & Visitor Center.
- Stroll across the picturesque Punalu’u black sand beach and search for sea turtles.
- Adventure to the summit of Kilauea inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park for a “Summit to Sea” experience on Chain of Craters road to the wondrous Holei Sea Arch . Your tour guide is certified ranger trained who will lead you to “must see” Big Island volcano sites in the park fully narrating the flora, fauna, geology, and cultural awareness with myth and legend stories that tie in the history of the past and most recent eruptions. Various stops inside the park include Kilauea Iki Overlook, Halemaumau Crater, steam vents, crater rim trail and cinder fields.
- Enjoy a deluxe dinner featuring continental cuisine with an island flair at Jackie Rey’s in Hilo. Choose from multiple dinner entrees.
- Observe the starry night sky as you travel back to your hotel for brief stargazing *weather permitting.
This is a mid-morning to evening tour with pick up beginning around 9:30 to 10:00 am. Round trip transportation provided from major hotels in Kohala, Waikoloa and Kona. Tour time is approximately 11 to 12-hours round trip depending on your pickup/drop off location.
Picnic Style Lunch at Punalu’u Bake Shop. Dinner provided at Jackie Rey’s in Hilo. Bottle water. Dining locations subject to change without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances or holidays.
Walking Sticks, Light Rain Jackets, Flashlights, Umbrellas and Rain Ponchos.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative booking date or full refund.
- All tours run rain or shine. The viewing of molten lava and its glow or volcanic activity may not be seen and cannot be guaranteed on any tour.
- What to Bring: Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, camera, and a sweater or jacket for after sunset.
- What to wear: Weather can range from 50 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Saddle Road temperatures can get even reach 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Essential Hawaii Tours recommends wearing comfortable footwear (closed-toe), a hat and sunglasses, and shorts or long pants. Most guests wear a light jacket or bring long pants to change into after sunset.
- You should be able to walk on uneven paths or on rocky terrain. Light to moderate hiking should be expected.
- Will we see molten lava on the Big Island Volcano tour? Everyday is a different Big Island volcano day in the park as conditions change daily. We’ll attune your experience to get the most out of the current eruption of Kilauea. If there is a possibility of viewing lava, we will do our best to get you to the closest viewing area providing it is safe and legal.
- How much hiking is involved? There will be a few short walks with the longest hike being no longer than 20-minutes long during this adventure. You should be able to walk on uneven paths or on rocky terrain. Light to moderate hiking should be expected with the longest trek no more than 20-minutes.
- What happens if it rains? It’s very possible that we will encounter rain during our tour, especially in our rainforest areas. If it rains, we provide light rain jackets, throw away ponchos and umbrellas for your use.
- What if I have dietary restrictions? Most special dietary needs and restrictions can be accommodated with 24-hour advance notice.
Suggested Retail Pricing
Adult: $229.00 +tax
Child: $199.00 +tax
Explore The Volcano Deluxe Route